Joseph Rex

The future is now

Good Citizen: Copyrights and Licenses

A lot of us follow most legal laws to remain good citizens and mostly to stay out of trouble. The best people are those who follow these laws because they feel it’s the right thing to do, and not just because they may get arrested for doing otherwise. In the Software development industry, there are licenses and copyright laws. These laws are ignored by many and I used to be one.


Performance Concerns

Performance is a very essential thing for every UX researcher or specialist. Great enough, performance is more evangelized these recent years than ever before in the history of the web. Thanks to the major performance heroes spreading the word.

In the last month, the only attention I’ve given this blog while being occupied with other freelance projects was to optimize its performance. I went from 73 to 95 on its Google speed score, and I also got a way better result with first byte time, number of HTTP requests, speed index, and time to visually complete rendering.


Understanding how ajax upload preview works

From a very early stage of my development, I’ve been fascinated by ajax upload previews and dropzone upload areas. For a long time I guess I was too scared to try any of them but after some time, I started using some jQuery plugins that did the job fine. I could have been contended with that and just have that in my every project but every project aren’t the same. I may use a bunch of plugins on a static website but on web applications where I’m so conscious about performance I prefer taking my time to write code that will help me do away with plugins or gems where I can.


Sticky: Scroll to fix content

Late last year, Chris Coyier addressed this on CSS-Tricks with illustrating images including GIF. In his solution to the problem, he had used magic numbers which he confirmed made his soluton not re-usable. He also wrote it in jQuery which may be nice considering that a lot of people use jQuery as it works on legacy browsers.


Exploring SVG for absolute beginners

SVG is one of the cool stuff of these HTML5 days and if you aren’t already fiddling with them already, either by using ready SVG icons or writing your own SVG, then you are missing out on a lot. It’s mostly known for its ability to scale across various pixel densities without pixelating. Regular raster images will do fine on 70 pixel per inch (ppi) and some densities slightly higher but we’re in the future now and things are getting different. With displays of nearly up to 360ppi, raster will pixelate. Also, SVG survives zooming to any length and it retains its initial quality.